Thursday, July 19, 2012

A Trip to Vietnam


I went to Vietnam today. Not the country, but the Vietnamese restaurant in Philadelphia called Vietnam. I am in Philadelphia this week visiting some old university friends, professors and relaxing. Anyway, I had lunch with two wonderful and dear professors and an extremely close friend. According to the restaurant’s menu all the dishes are created from the owner’s family recipes starting with his grandmother who was from Vietnam.

The food was incredible; so fresh, light and flavorful. If I starve in Vietnam it won’t be for the lack of good food, but for my subpar chopstick skills. It’s not that my chopstick skills are bad, they are respectable and I can manage, but I had a few cases of the food not staying on the chopsticks long enough to make it into my mouth. Especially the smaller pieces. Whoops!

The table shared an appetizer sampler of which I could not tell you exactly what it all contained; perhaps the most memorable item was the grape leaf wraps. For lunch we ordered lemon grass chicken, sweet and sour chicken, curry chicken and pho (beef noodle soup). If the food today is any indication I will be a very happy and lighter man, especially if my chopstick skills plateau. On the plus side my love of ginger and basil will be very satisfied J.

No comments:

Post a Comment