Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Delinquent Already


Somewhere on this blog I had stated my intention to write weekly (perhaps a bit overzealous). This is my second post in 3 weeks…not a great start, but it should be noted that I have spent the past couple weeks fighting through a visa/plane flight quagmire. I will not bore anybody with the minutia but I will provide the condensed version here.

The issues started three weeks ago when the travel company who books travel for the Fulbright booked my flights and then failed to inform me or send the itinerary to my program director for approval. They realized this clerical error when I called them to follow up on my travel since I hadn’t heard anything from them in three weeks. After a few more calls and e-mails between travel agents, myself and the Fulbright SE Asia regional director in NYC my fights were booked. Meanwhile I had not heard anything about the status of my visa, which was the last piece of this puzzle. On Friday I received an email from the US Embassy in Vietnam with my visa code, sans one small detail.

My visa dates were valid starting the first day of orientation and the flights that comply with the Fly America Act arrive in Hanoi at 9:40 pm each night, which means I would miss the first day of orientation. At this point my contact in Vietnam at the Embassy was exploring options to get a new visa, I was calling the travel agency to move the flights, and it was Friday, which means that nobody will be doing business on either side of the pacific for the next two days. This uncertainty and back and forth lasted through Monday afternoon. Despite everybody’s best efforts I will have to arrive the night of the 30th in Hanoi and miss the first day of orientation (which will be videotaped for me). Unfortunately the first day of orientation is full of lectures from the staff at the US Embassy on topics including politics, economics and sensitive issues in US-Vietnamese relations.

This is perhaps my first real interaction with international communication, or miscommunication. Part of this journey is learning to operate in a new culture with different norms and rhythms. As a result I am trying to learn to go with the flow, which is not natural for me. Adopting a slower and more relaxed lifestyle might be challenging but I can’t really complain about slowing down.

As I near my departure in less than two weeks I am most worried about the teaching. I have never lectured an entire class before and the mechanics of teaching a foreign language are elusive to me at this point. A large part of the orientation is devoted to teaching the ETAs how to teach English to non-native English speakers. That will help, but I am wondering if 2 weeks will be enough to make me an effective lecturer. I think of the professors and teachers who had an impact on me and who were effective in the classroom and I am wondering how they did it. I want my students to feel comfortable to make mistakes and try speaking the language. In a culture where saving face is highly valued and rote learning is the most common lecture method I am wondering how I can get my students to open up, be expressive, communicative and critically analyze the rules and grammar they already know. Plus the thought of writing my own syllabus, midterm, final exam, assignments, lesson plans and managing my own classroom looms large. Given my limited practice executing these tasks Nervous Nelly and Trepidation who took up residence in my head a couple weeks ago are growing more pronounced on a daily basis and will continue to do so until I touchdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment