Saturday, July 28, 2012

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehen

Me and my loving parents at Mario's. Heaven on Earth!


I must preface this blog post with a warning: I am writing this while in a deep and wonderful food coma. Hence the Sound of Music titular reference, it's wholesome and fitting. Deal with it. 

Two long-time and very close friends, Maddy and Corinne.
We all figure skated together for essentially our entire childhoods.
Such good times.
I just returned from my farewell dinner with my parents at Mario’s tonight. Those from Rochester know Mario’s. For those who don’t...I'm sorry. Mario’s is the best restaurant in Rochester (besides Richardson’s Canal House, another personal favorite) and is an Italian steakhouse to end all steakhouses. We started with bruschetta and fried taleggio. Then I had the grilled Caesar wedge salad, the New York Strip steak (with a side of lobster mac and cheese), part of my mother’s lobster raviolis. OMG! OMG! Between the huge chunks of lobster, fresh ricotta, homemade pasta and bisque-cream sauce I thought I was going to die. It was so rich I could barely chew it. Then just because dinner wasn't gluttonous enough, a slice of seven-layer chocolate ganache truffle cake. All of this was washed down by an incredible bottle of Vermentino wine. A perfect summer white, I think it’s my new favorite. Just to be clear the table shared the bottle, and a shot of limoncello, which I am proud to say was not shared. Tomorrow I should run to the west coast and then swim to Vietnam while towing my luggage behind me. I also bumped into one of my former skating coaches at Mario's, Judy Ferris-Brunett. Her patience and grit got me through my golds, and that damn Argentine Tango. There is a pair of angle wings for her in ice dancing heaven.

Now that you're hungry (or perhaps slightly nauseous, like me), but most certainly jealous I arrive at the topic of this post, my last full day in the USA for a long time, and my last day at home for an even longer time. The packing is done, though it was hampered by my cute but useless companion (see below). Now all I have to do is make to my gates on time. I am feeling very relived that the preparation is over, it was an exhausting and extensive process stretching well over a month.

I had an undocumented travel buddy. I think she is a bit overdressed for the tropics. A fur coat...really?! She is going to schvitz like a pudding at a picnic and the wet look is very unbecoming on her. I am going miss my buddy. Love you Sterling!
I also found out today that my primary applications for medical school were verified by AMCAS and ACOMMAS! On Monday they will be transmitted to the schools I applied to and secondary apps will be rolling in (I have already completed two and returned one of them). Yeah! In addition I received word from the US Embassy in Hanoi that at the end of orientation they have set aside a day for me to go to the embassy, meet the people who are presenting on day 1 that I will miss, and receive a personal briefing of all the information I missed. Basically my own day 1 on day 30! Way to go US Embassy!

In preparation for the impending emotional departure I have spent the last two weeks seeing friends in Philadelphia, visiting campus, taking in some local sites in Philly and spending time with friends in Rochester. At this point I feel ready, or as ready as I will ever be for this. I know that I will have an awesome time and learn an incredible amount about myself, the changing world we live in, the human spirit and the role the US has on the global stage in a direct and very personal manner. I also know that this time abroad will make me appreciate the US, my family and the blessings in my life in ways unknown to me. Absence certainly makes the heart grow fonder, but this endeavor will be eye opening. I can’t wait. It’s time to grab for the brass ring and embrace every bit of this no-doubt once-in-a-lifetime voyage. I will end this final US-based post with an apt quote from Jeremey Bentham. Godspeed!

    "Create all the happiness you are able to create: remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you to add something to the pleasure of others, or to diminish something of their pains. And for every grain of enjoyment you sow in the bosom of another, you shall find a harvest in your own bosom; while every sorrow which you pluck out from the thoughts and feelings of a fellow creature shall be replaced by beautiful peace and joy in the sanctuary of your soul."

Sunday brunch in Manayunk, PA. On the left is Dr. Jeff Ashley, my academic and research advisor at PhilaU. On the right is Dr. Marcella McCoy-Deh the Honors Program and Fulbright Director at PhilaU. Both were instrumental in my academic career. I am proud to say that both are my colleagues and dear friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment